This is a purée soup which is pretty easy to prepare. Most of the ingredients can be found in the pantry very easily. Puréed soups are not as smooth and refined as cream soups but they are healthier and coarser in texture and character. With that in mind... On to cooking!
- Butter - 4 oz
- Carrots - 4 lb, small dice
- Onions - 1 lb, small dice
- Russet Potatoes - 1 lb, small dice
- Chicken Stock - 5 qt
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper - to taste
- Heavy Cream - optional for garnish
- Fresh Parsley - optional for garnish
- Heat the butter in a heavy sauce pot over moderately low heat.
- Add the carrots and the onions. Sweat the vegetables until they are about half cooked. Do not let them brown.
- Add the potatoes and stock. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer until the vegetables are cooked.
- Purée the soup by using immersion blender or a food mill.
- Bring back the soup to simmer. If necessary add more stock to thin out the soup to the proper consistency. Serve warm.