This is a quick and delicious dessert that can be made in advance and it will hold pretty well in the freezer. The difference between sherbet and sorbet is the dairy. Sherbet will contain some amounts of dairy. On to cooking!
- Watermelon - 4 C, seedless diced
- Sugar - 1 C
- Lemon Juice - 3 T
- Salt - dash
- Water - 1/4 C, cold
- Gelatin - 1 envelope (.25oz)
- Heavy Cream - 1 C, chilled
- Combine the watermelon, sugar, lemon juice, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir to coat evenly. Cover the bowl with the plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Blend the mixture with a blender until smooth, return to the bowl.
- Pour the cold water into the saucepan. Sprinkle with gelatin. Let stand for 1 minute. Place the saucepan over low heat. Cook for 2 minutes. Mix the gelatin mixture with the blended watermelon mixture. Add the heavy cream. Beat with mixer at medium speed until mixture is fluffy.
- Put the mixture into the ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer\'s directions until it reaches soft serve consistency.
- Transfer the sherbet to the ice cream container and cover the surface with plastic wrap. For the best results, let the mixture chill in the freezer for at least 2 hours or overnight if possible.