Tonight we will be making the famous Zuppa Toscana. This is a dish which is extremely easy to make. The soup can be served throughout the year as it is perfect for any season. One thing that is very important to remember is what accents the dish is Kale. If you cannot find Kale in your local supermarket, you can substitute it with Collard Greens, but be warned the results are a little different. On to Cooking!
- Hot Italian Sausage Links - 1 lb
- Crushed Red Pepper - 2 t
- Onion - 1 ea, diced
- Bacon - 4 strips, crumbled
- Chicken Stock - 8 c
- Heavy Cream - 1/4 c
- Russet Potatoes - 1 lb, sliced
- Kale - 1 bunch
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 2 T
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper - to taste
- Put the Bacon strips and the Sausage links in a preheated oven at 500 degrees F. Cook for about 20 minutes until the Sausage is firm. Take out the Bacon and the Sausage and let them cool.
- While that is cooking, sauté the Onions with the Oil in a large soup pot. Once the onions are starting to get translucent add the sliced Potatoes and add the Stock. Once the pan starts boiling, lower the heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes (until the potatoes are cooked).
- While the potatoes are simmering, cut the Sausage up and the Bacon as well.
- Once the Potatoes are cooked all the way, add the Sausage and the Bacon in the pot. Add Salt, Pepper, and the Red Peppers. Once the pot starts boiling again, turn off the heat and add the Cream and the Kale. (Make sure you cut up the Kale before adding it to the pot).